17 December 2011

Sepia Saturday 105: Bringing Home the Bird

Charles W. Stratton II and unknown companion, ca 1986-1906
The Sepia Saturday prompt for this week shows a delightful array of wonderful Christmas treats including several fowl dishes. (I think I will pass on the pigeon pie!)

Charles W. Stratton II (1876-1945), on left, is shown bringing home a bird for dinner. Prior to medical school, Charles' favorite past-time was hunting.  Much of his free time was spent hunting with friends and training and breeding hunting dogs.  He had developed a reputation for his skill with dogs.  In 1899, he was offered $100 for his dog, Jack, but turned it down.  Jack was an orange and white English Setter born in 1897.

The following year Charles noted, "Getting a reputation as a dog doctor.   A fellow from Stockbridge to see me about his dog." [diary, 4/2/1900].  In December, 1899, he wrote an article for Field & Stream [diary, 12/28/1899].  A collection of Field and Stream Cover Images is available online but I've not yet found the article or confirmed its publication. In another place and time, Charles might have become a veterinarian instead of a physician.

The photograph above is on a card with no photographer identification on either the back or front making dating the photograph problematic. Charles appears to be fairly young - perhaps in his 20s giving the date as ca 1896-1906. Charles diaries cover this time period and there may be a mention of the photograph in them. The guns and dogs might also provide clues. Who would have thought that dog photographs and licenses might be the key to providing a more exact date!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the date of this photograph as it might be a critical clue in identifying Charles' companion. I suspect that Charles' cousin, Harry Mallory, might be the other gentleman in the picture.

See Sepia Saturday 105 for more takes on the theme. There are certain to be some posts that will inspire your holiday meal planning that won't require a hunting trip! 

Charles W. Stratton II has been featured previously as the husband of Mira Rockwell (Main) Stratton in The Best Medicine -- New Clues; as a young boy in Just Another Cock and Bull Story; and as one of The Horse-and-Buggy Doctors of Lee Massachusetts.



Sources:
Stratton, Charles W., II. "1899 Diary." MS.  Lee, Massachusetts, 1899.  Privately held by Liz Stratton, [ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL USE,] Cincinnati, Ohio. 2011.

Stratton, Charles W., II. "1900 Diary." MS.  Lee, Massachusetts, 1900.  Privately held by Liz Stratton, [ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL USE,] Cincinnati, Ohio. 2011.

Stratton, Charles W., II and unidentified hunter.  Portrait.  Ca 1986-1906.  Cardstock.  Privately held by Liz Stratton, [ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL USE,] Cincinnati, Ohio. 2011.

19 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see this post. It certainly puts a different spin on Christmas than the sentimental stuff I'm likely to include. I'm totally transported back to a different day and time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    I am amazed that I was able to get this one in! :) I know I have seen a reference to this photo in one of the diaries but, sadly, not in any that I've transcribed so far!

    I love the sentimental Christmas stuff! I don't think there has ever been a year when I didn't watch White Christmas or Holiday Inn. ;) I'm looking forward to reading some wonderful Christmas blogs tomorrow to get me in the mood for shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles looks very proud, but his companion just looks bored. The dog looks like it has a good workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Postcardy,
    I just love the dog on the left. He is totally wiped out! I admit to be intrigued by the rather candid nature of this posed photo!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, it’s amazing that you are always able to come up with a photo from your own family collection for almost every theme! I love any old picture with a dog in it. I’ve recently acquired one of my great-grandfather with a dog that I never knew about. Thanks for your comments on my post, but I don’t think even my husband would describe me as a ‘fantastic’ cook, though I do try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly a great picture; there is nothing better than a working dog, The black one has obviously had a busy day. I've been a beater on several pheasant shoots when I was in my late teens. To see the skill of the dogs retreiving game is a sight I shall never forget. The men have had a good day. I hope you can find that article - it's one I'd love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell
    It is a blessing to have so many old family photos. I love trying to find the ones that might fit the theme. It inspires me to get more of them scanned! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob, I too, would like forearm the article or see if it were ever published. Perhaps after I've finished my shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This picture brings back so many memories for me. When we lived in Scotland my husband often came home with things that had to be plucked, scaled and/or otherwise treated. I'm very glad to be able to find them pre-prepared in a local market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sheila, I bet you are! I can't imagine plucking a chicken or any other fowl for that matter. It is amazing how far we have all become from our food sources.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look as if the are expecting something to happen, maybe the Game-keepers coming

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike, if the gentleman on the left was Harry, he may have BEEN the game keeper! :) I do love the thought ... would make a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this photo! So happy that let the hard working doggies in on the shot too! After all they worked so hard...just look at the darling doggie on the left! Well they will all eat good tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes that is what is going on all around my neck of the woods this time of year. I looked at Alan's main blog and took my theme from that post and not the SS one. Oh well. SS is like that anything with a good story. I love this photo. My dad always did the hunting thing too. Merry Christmas
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, I love the number of pet in these family photos. More to come ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas Peggy! I, too, love the variety on SS. So many creative takes on a theme! Wish I'd had more time last week as I have a great sailor suit photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful photo showing a tradition that few of us know anymore. I like the one dog's intense stare off camera. What's got his attention? I imagine dating the sporting clothes will be hard since most men would not be very fashionable on the hunt. But the guns might be dated, perhaps using an old Sears catalog?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mike, Good suggestion! The hunting clothes really aren't much help. I think I'll also post to the Mallory discussion boards. Perhaps Harry's descendants have a copy of the same photo and are wondering who the gentleman on the right is!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great picture and as far as I'm concerned, someone good with pets is a good person.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!