21 September 2011

Wordless Wednesday (Nearly): Phoenixes, Basilisks and Unicorns at the Turn of the 19th Century

I loved seeing these early references to Phoenixes, Basilisks and Unicorns found in Auntie Leda's Literature notebook (undated, probably ca 1900).  This is for all the Harry Potter Fans!
Literature Notebook, Francis Leda 'Auntie Leda' Stratton (1878-1968)
© Liz Stratton
Literature Notebook, Francis Leda 'Auntie Leda' Stratton (1878-1968)
© Liz Stratton
One of but many treasures unearthed on Opening Day 1.  Like fine wine, each box is better when savored.

Source: 
Stratton, Francis Leda.  "Literature Journal." MS.  [Lee or Westfield, Massachusetts], undated.  Privately held by Liz Stratton, [Address for private use,] Cincinnati, Ohio, 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, tell us more about these notebooks and "Opening Day 1" - your link wouldn't let me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, I've fixed the link to Opening Day 1. I'm still learning my way around blogger! The boxes from the attic are what inspired this blog.

    Several boxes of memorabilia dating back to the early 1860s (perhaps even earlier) were rescued from the Stratton family attic. I'm going through them one-by-one, enjoying the discoveries along the way! I hope to find many contributions to Sepia Saturday.

    This notebook was one of the last items in the box. 'Francis Leda Stratton' is inscribed on the inside cover but there is no date. I suspect it was either from her High School days or the Normal School she attended at the turn of the century.

    I was shocked to see the 'Monster' page! We definitely didn't cover these mythical monsters in my schooling. :)
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!