21 November 2011

Sepia Saturday 102: Fish Tales

Chet Warwick and the one that didn't get away. Photographer unknown.

While I would love to tell a 'fish tale,' Chet Warwick actually caught the one that got away! When I heard of his fishing adventures, I suspected 'fish tales' -- these must be over-blown stories. His wife’s anecdotes of high waves, broken-down motors and remote bays were all confirmed by his sons. His sons were a mix of willing and unwilling participants.

I would definitely have been an unwilling participant -- I have caught two 'trophy' fish.  These are my only catches (not counting my husband). The first was a sucker (not my husband). I begged mercy and the fish was reluctantly released. (Don't tell the Fish and Game Wardens.)

My next fish was a real trophy - at least in dollars or memories per pound. Five days, four people, four out-of-state fishing licenses, two white-striped bass --  one caught by me!  Fish weight....  I think they were over the limit. (Don't tell the Fish and Game Wardens.) Enjoying canoeing all day; roasting fish over the fire with my husband and parents; listening to the 'Grand Canyon Suite' bouncing off the cliffs in a bay on Lake Powell; priceless!



And now I leave you to go fishing for more tales at Sepia Saturday 102.



Chester Arthur 'Chet' Warwick (1903-1973) was my grandfather. He was a jeweler by trade and a fisherman by heart.

21 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about fish, but that must be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone needs a great fish tale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Postcardy, Obviously I'm no fish expert either. Surely someone will stumble along who can identify the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved you fishy story! ♥ Especially the music bouncing around in the canyon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With Scenery Like That, I Would Fish Too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of fish tales this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a big fish; I wouldn't like to hold it in that position for long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done, that lady :-) I don't go fishing any more (can't bear bashing them to kill them, even if they are tasty) - mine's a fishing tale too :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am like Tony, with scenery like that i would go fishing too. Wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not going to tell anyone : no hang on, I will. A great piece of writing : I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone seems to have a fishy photo in their stash, and that’s a great one! Good story too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed your description of your catches and "suckers."

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sure is one fine catch, and a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jinsky, We never did get all the fine red sand out of that cassette player. :)

    Tony & Marilyn, From the photos and the memories they stirred to life, we spent more time hiking arroyos taking photos. :)

    Jo, I passed off the bashing and cleaning part to someone else. Definitely not my favorite part of the process.

    Thanks to all for stopping by and for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a big fan of fishing [or hunting either] as I am more of a contemplative type when in a natural environment, but I like his look while he holds his catch. Great pics!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only ever went fishing once as a young child in Ireland. It must be a wonderful experience to roast your own catch over a fire, far beyond an everyday meal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome photo! I won't tell the Park Rangers; my lips are sealed. Thanks so much for your visit,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's always something a bit scary to me about dead fish hanging on a line. I too would let them go. A friend to this day can't stand even seeing fish because her father used to bring them home and throw them in the sink for her to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Large Mouth Bass, I think. Wikipedia has a similar fish photo to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think we all went fishing with this week's Sepia Saturday theme. Nice photo of your grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great fish tales. I think the Grand Canyon experience would have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!