21 January 2012

Sepia Saturday 109: Go to Sleep my Little Dolly

"Bye-Lo-Baby" Wee Babies (1882)
"Bye-Lo-Baby" is from Wee Babies, a book belonging to Mira Rockwell (Main) Stratton (1881-1926). Published in 1882, the Bye-Lo-Baby dolls in the poem are not the ones made famous by Grace Storey Putnam in the 1920s. Putnam's 'babies' resembled a three-day-old newborn -- a  departure from the more mature dolls depicted in Wee Babies.

Mira's dolls would have been like those in the illustrations, young children with faces of porcelain or bisque. Beautiful as the dolls may have been, they cannot compare to Mira's own joyous children pictured below. I can't help but wonder what prank was afoot ....

Mira Rockwell (Main) Stratton, Charles W. Stratton III, Virginia Stratton
Reprint, J. Will Hawes, photographer, ca 1920
"Mira Main Stockbridge Mass," is inscribed on the first page of Wee Babies in an immature cursive scrawl. Mira's mother died when Mira was young. Mira's father, unable to care for his girls, made arrangements for them to attend a convent school. When Mira became ill, she recuperated with her aunt and namesake, Mira Rockwell, in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.

Mira's father, Isaac Main (ca 1836-1891), strove to bring the family together, moving closer to Stockbridge and applying for a Civil War service pension; he died before receiving it. Auntie Mira Rockwell filled the void, caring for Mira Main as if she were her own. Mira (Main) Stratton refers to 'Auntie' frequently and affectionately in her diary. I like to think of the two Miras sharing bedtime verses from Wee Babies.

"Go to sleep my precious baby, 
Let me think what mama sings, 
All about the stars and lammies, 
By-lo-land and lots of things."

"By-lo-Land and lots of things" await you at Sepia Saturday 109.


Sources:
"Bye Lo Babies." Article. Byelobabies.com. http://http://www.byelobbabies.com/ : accessed 20 January 2012.

Blanchard, Amy E., poetry, and Ida Waugh, illustrations. Wee Babies: Printed in Colours from Original Designs. New York: E.P. Dutton & Co.; London: Griffith and Farran, 1882.  This book was a gift from Charles W. Stratton III and Marita (Dick) Stratton in 1990. The book was part of the family's collection of books.

Civil War and Later Pension Files. Department of Veterans Affairs, Record Group 15. Mira Main, minor's application no. 8541, for service of Isaac G. W. Main. National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Massachusetts. Berkshire County. 1890 U.S. census, 'Special Schedule - Surviving Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, and Widows." Lenox, Enumeration District (ED) 37, p. 4, Isaac Main. Digital images. Ancetry.com. http:www.ancestry.com : accessed 25 December 2010.

Massachusetts. Berkshire County. 1900 U.S. census, population schedule. Stockbridge, Enumeration District (ED) 83, p. 1818 (penned), Mira Rockwell household, dwelling 118, family 126. Digital images. Ancestry.com. http:www.ancestry.com : accessed 27 December 2010.

Massachusetts. Berkshire County. 1910 U.S. census, population schedule. Stockbridge, Enumeration District (ED) 88, p. 3451 (penned), Mira Rockwell household, dwelling 17, family 17. Digital images. Ancestry.com. http:www.ancestry.com : accessed 27 December 2010.

Prisant, Carol. Antiques Roadshow Collectibles.... New York: Workman Publishing, 2003, p. 275.

Stratton, Mira Rockwell (Main), Charles W. Stratton III and Virginia Stratton. Reprint of a photograph by J. Will Hawes. ca 1920. Privately held by Liz Stratton, [ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL USE,] Cincinnati, Ohio. 2012. The photographer was identified by comparing the reprint to original photographs that include Charles W. Stratton III and Virginia Stratton wearing the same clothing in front of the same background.

Stratton, Mira Rockwell (Main). "Line-a-Day Diary." MS.  Lee, Massachusetts, 1913-1923.  Privately held by Liz Stratton, [ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL USE,] Cincinnati, Ohio. 2011.

Stratton Family Traditions. Liz and Dick Stratton, compilers. MSS notes, ca 1991-present. Privately held by Stratton, [ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL USE,] Cincinnati, Ohio.

21 comments:

  1. Liz,
    Your posts keep getting better and better! I love this one. I can't believe you were able to locate a book published in 1882 that complements the theme so well. I also love the photo you used (but I'm wondering about the one you didn't use).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three more photographs taken on this same day. The photographer was masterful. They are all amongst my favorites. I only wish I had the original of the one used here!

      I went to the book as soon as I saw the theme. Jim and Marita gave it too me when I was expecting my first child. I was thrilled to see that it is also available online.

      Delete
  2. That’s a charming verse and the picture is so apt. I have to agree about the children’s expression, especially the little boy; you can imagine someone off camera woking hard to make them smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that expression on the face of the man the little boy became! He was definitely enjoying a joke - probably with Papa!

      Delete
  3. The pictures in the book and the photo are both cute. I was amused by the line in the verse that threatened the doll with being put on the floor if she didn't behave. As I was reading the poem, I couldn't see the picture, and in my mind I saw the doll in a bed which made the floor sound like a more extreme punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine torturing my stuffed animals with such a threat!

      Delete
  4. Everyone looks so relaxed in the photo, enjoying the experience, so different from many studio portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post. The photo is so classical. I too can just imagine the adults behind the scene prompting the kiddos. I love the photos where the little legs and the shoes show up so well.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a relaxed pose by all three in the photo.Mira has such a contented smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mira looks very proud and pleased....very adorning look...as are the children, especially the boy! What a lovely story you wrote for us, interesting and such detail! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Both the drawing+Text of Bye-Lo-Baby is so beautiful.A Rare Tenderness.Thanks For Sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy must've been reading my mind. I thought too that Mira seems so relaxed. And her hair seems softer than what I usually see in photos from this era. Her daughter's curls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a story! I loved the pictures too. I never thought of singing lullabies to a doll. Her kids look so happy. I wasn't sure how to leave a comment, so I am just replying to Wendy's comment.

      Take care,

      Kathy M.

      Delete
  10. I often wonder if Mira's expression is a relaxed one or an exasperated one. ;) Fun pranks and hi jinks are a the norm. "Skeleton in the Attic" tells of just one such prank. Must admit to loving every minute of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was smitten by the poem and the page and recalled seeing copies of the Wee Books somewhere on my life travels; I was glad that you added information about Mira too...and those two little dolls do look like they are about something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those children are not only adorable, they look so happy. The poem is new to me, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So full of information and wonderful images. all presented to perfection. A joy to read. Sepia Saturday at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both pictures are charming, but I especially love the expression of joy and fun on the childrens' faces. Well done on your research. A very interesting post :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful story, you obviously put a lot of love and research into it. Those children look like sweet little imps! The girl is beautiful and look at those long curls! Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fine combination of words and photo. Earlier times did not find sentimentality uncomfortable. There is a wonderful celebration of innocence here that is gone from modern depiction of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So interesting how both children have their attention drawn to the side while the woman looks knowingly forward.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!